Installing Tomcat in Windows / Linux
How to install Tomcat in Windows / Linux?
Installing Tomcat on Windows:
- Download the binary distribution of the Tomcat Server 6.0 from http://tomcat.apache.org.
- Usually this would be a zip file, unzip the file just run the executable file.
- Specify the location to be installed
- Provide the Port number, Admin Username, Password
- Specify the path where JRE is installed
- After installing the tomcat server, the CATILINA_HOME environment variable should be set to point the Tomcat installation directory.
- C:Jakarta> set CATALINA_HOME=C:Jakartajakarta-tomcat-5.0.12
Installing Tomcat on Linux:
- Download the jakarta-tomcat-5.0.12.tar.gz file for the instance to /usr/local
- If GNU tar is not installed use the following command
- gunzip -c jakarta-tomcat-5.0.12 | tar xvf
- This will create a directory with sub directories.
- Now unpack the file with following commands.
- cd /usr/local
- tar xzvf jakarta-tomcat-5.0.12.tar.gz.
- Now set the CATALINA_HOME environment variable to point to the installed directory.
- export CATALINA_HOME=/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-5.0.12.
- To start the server in background use- ./startup.sh
After the installation is completed, run tomcat server. If tomcat is installed properly, by typing "http://localhost:8080" in your bowser you will get the screen as below.