* Fuzzy selection tool
, also known as Magic wand tool, is used for choosing the portions of an image or layer with the same or similar colour.
* It is the best choice to pick objects with sharp edges.
* It is also adopted for touching the selected items or selecting areas within some curves or outline.How to Launch:
- Open Gimp.
- Launch a new image file.
- Now choose Fuzzy Selection Tool
from the toolbox.
* Shortcut for this tool is U
. Click the Toolbox and then press the button U(shortcut).Tool options:Modes
- It determines the way of creating the selection, i.e. whether it will be combined with existing one, etc.Antialiasing
- This option causes the selected portion to be drawn smoother.Feather edge
- This option makes the portion of the selection to give a vague impression.Select Transparent Areas
- This option gives the ability to select areas which are completely transparent.Sample merged
- This option creates a selection from actual image, instead from the active layer.Threshold
- This option determines the range of colours.Select by
- When it is selected, the component shall be used for calculating the similarity.
- The modes, antialiasing and feather edge options are available in all the selection tools.How to Use:
- Now pick a portion from the image. Just drag the mouse over the image. (View the below image)
- The words in the above image has been selected. Now cut the selected portion from the image.
- Again launch a new file in GIMP.
- The selected portion gets pasted but it looks dim.
- At last, click "File -> Save" to "Save" the file.