* It casts shadow and lightens an image.
* It highlights or darkens an image on the selected portions.
* The Dodge
option "lightens" the image and Burn
option "darkens" an image.How to Launch:
- Open Gimp.
- Launch a new image file.
- Now pick Dodge/Burn Tool
from the toolbox.
* To select, click the toolbox and press the button Shift + D
- This option is not enabled in Dodge/Burn tool.Opacity
- This option sets the transparency level for the pointer of dodge / burn tool
- This option provides different kinds of pointers to dodge/burn an image.Scale
- This option is used to set the size of the dodge/burn pointer.Brush Dynamics
- The Pressure, Velocity and Random
features are mixed with Opacity, Hardness and Size
to set the features to the pointer of dodge tool.Fade Out
- This option makes the airbrush to give a paler effect to the paint that has been applied on the image i.e. the color painted turns fader.Apply Jitter
- This option dodges/burns the pixels of the image faster.Hard Edge
- This option executes darker colors when it is applied on an image frequently.Type
- This option allows you to choose Dodge/Burn
1]Dodge -> The colors on an image will be lightened or softened.
2]Burn -> It completely brightens the colors in an image.Range
- This option lists you three further options namely, Shadows, Midtones, Highlights
1]Shadows -> It limits the outcome of the darker pixels.
2]Midtones -> It confines the influence of the pixels which are normal ones.
3]Highlights -> It puts a limit to the outcome of lighter pixelsExposure
- This option determines the level of the dodge/burn tool's effect.How to Use:
- Simply click left mouse button and drag the cursor over the image.
- Now the image gets lightened because the default mode is set as "Dodge" in toolbox. (View the below image)
- Use Ctrl
button to switch between "Dodge and Burn" options.
- Now choose "Burn option". Just click ctrl button and drag the cursor over the image.
- The image gets darker.(View the below image)
- To "Highlight" an image more, just select the highlight option under the
"Range" tool in the toolbox.
- The below image is highlighted using the highlight option.
- Try the rest of the tool options in the toolbox and finally click "File -> Save" to "Save" the file.